Thursday, September 22, 2011

First Week

My Hotel in Nairobi


At Masai a Marra

Part of the Nairobi Skyline.

At Masai a Marra. Lions are everywhere, this one is tracking down a meal. It's an awesome sight to see them hunt

Hut at Masai a Marra

A street view, all towns are large accumulation of people at the market along with a these vans and taxi 2 stroke motorcycles

This was interesting. This is the equivalent of Joel Osteen in Kenya. A proclaimed christian prophet. Apparently a big deal.

View from my room. Named the cow Humphrey.

Well it’s been a really busy first week. I can hardly believe I left a week ago. It feels like 3 months already. The basic synopsis is that I landed in the capitol Nairobi on Friday morning after about 33 hours of traveling. My guide and I guess cultural adviser, Josh picked me up and gave me a brief tour of the city. It’s an amazing place I thought it would be a more steppe climate but it’s basically in the jungle and hovers around 75 degrees, very cold for Kenyans. There are huge skyscrapers, baboons roam the streets, people walk everywhere including down the middle of the highway and there is a lot of poverty here. After a night in a very interesting hotel downtown we drove to a part of the country called Masai a Marra, which is where the Masai tribe lives and where a huge population of the large game in Africa is. It’s incredibly remote but very beautiful. The tribe themselves are amazing they live basically among lions and elephants and have no problems. We however could not go anywhere at night for fear of becoming a meal. After a day there we traveled to St. Joseph mission hospital in Migori. The minute I arrived I was rushed to a C section surgery. Since then I’ve assisted 2 surgeries stitched a man who was beaten and helped diagnose and treat almost 50 patients with tropical diseases, HIV + TB being the primary culprit. It’s both terribly tragic to see all the unnecessary suffering but also very hopeful because the people here really have an amazing altruistic approach to life. I admire it. I am going on very little sleep so I’m looking forward to the weekend where my schedule should slow down a little for a couple days. 
    

2 comments:

  1. Wow Pete! Action packed- you'll either be bored or exhausted when you return. Great pics, love the one of Humphrey and your digs. Glad to see screens on the windows...! miss you at the homefront

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete these pics are amazing! Your description makes it sound like quite the place. I can't believe the proximity to wildlife... Sounds like you'll be busy but should be a once and a lifetime opportunity. Looking forward to more updates

    ReplyDelete