Saturday, November 19, 2011

It's been a while

It’s been a while I apologize. I have some good pictures from Lodwar and Mombasa in no particular order, so enjoy. I’ve been trying to keep myself really busy working around the hospital in Migori. Right now I’m trying to put together a medical supplies shipment here through the charity Project Cure. I’ve worked with them for some time, it’s a great organization. They send supplies around the world to places in need and without being coy, this location defiantly qualifies. Some blaring example include at times the hospital doesn’t have any oxygen because there are no oxygen tanks, or masks that fit patients. Other times surgery has to be cancelled because there are no surgical blades or propane to heat the fluids. The lack of resources gives one a real perspective on the difficulty of life in destitute poverty.

Anyway the process is moving along but there’s a lot of red tape trying to figure out customs and shipping details. One thing you learn in Kenya is that the bureaucracy here is quite frustrating, but then again I suppose the opposite would actually be strange.

I’ll be home in about a month and I’m looking forward to it. I could really use a day of skiing, life on the equator is a tad hot. I miss everyone and I hope all is well.    




A slab in the road in Mombasa

A man in Kakuma, trying to retrieve water from the ground.

An image from Lodwar "airstrip", Just two jet engines from a striped plane

The terminal at Lodwar airstrip. Quite the security, a single unlocked gate

A view of Mombasa


The main road in Mombasa, the tusks are the symbol of the city




The old town of Mombasa



17 comments:

  1. I hope your having fun and helping alot of people get better. I heard you were home sick.Get home safe and keep helping people.
    Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey it's riley from mrs. macks class. Just wanted to say hey and I appreciate what your doing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pete,
    I think it is a great thing you are doing and i hope everything is going well! All the photos you put up are really cool!
    Myah from Mrs. Mack's class!
    Myah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete,
    This is Amanda from Mrs. Mack's homeroom class.
    Hope all is well down in Africa. I think its amazing what you are doing! I like your pictures they are very unique!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI PETE IM DANNY IN MRS. MACKS HOME ROOM AND I WONDER WHATS IT LIKE IN AFRICA BUT WITH THOSE PICTURES I NOW KNOW :)
    I THINK IT IS SO NICE AND COOL WHAT YOU ARE DOING


    DANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Pete,
    it has been a while i remember when you came a taught us all about Africa. Its cool that your in Africa now I hope your doing OK.

    Sincerely
    Ian
    Mrs.Mack's home room class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi pete,
    I'm a student in Mrs.Macks homeroom. I really appreciate what you are doing and I think it is a great thing. I think the work you are doing is helping a lot of people. I hope that you don't feel too homesick. Thanks for all you are doing.
    From,
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi pete,
    I hope you get well soon and those picture were awsome^^ keep helping people
    Tommy from Mrs. Mack's class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Pete...been thinking about you a lot and we are missing you around the hood. Come home soon so we can hear all about your adventures.
    So proud to know you.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pete
    I am a student in Mrs. Mack's class. Hope your having fun in Africa. Mrs. Mack tells us the latest news, and we all hope to see you soon.

    Logan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am from Mrs. Mack's home room and I remember when you came and talked to us. It was really cool.I think that the picture of the main road is beautiful. There are a lot of details in the picture. I hope that you are having fun and helping lots of people. Try not to think about home and maybe you wont be as homesick. Thank you for what you are doing.
    From,
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Pete!
    I hope you feel better soon! The pictures you have taken are so beautiful! I hope you can come and visit us again and tell us about your life there! We just got into December and it snowed yesterday, it's super cold here! I hope you get better soon and that you have a safe trip back (when you do come). :)
    Lots of thanks,
    Alise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Pete!
    I'm a student in Mrs.Mack's homeroom, I hope the trip is going good! Mrs.Mack keeps us updated and we cheek your blog when we get the chance. Hopefully you will come see us in class again. Have fun!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello pete, this is Jaysohn speaking instead of mrs mack, because i couldnt make MY computer work. I am here to congratulate you on your many achievements in africa, and i hope that they mvoe you forward in the medical field. i hope youve helped many people in africa, and i hope that you are making a huge difference in lives. -jaysohn, Mrs Macks homeroom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear, Pete

    It is amazing how you have still been in good health considering the fact that the food is not always safe. Anyway it is interesting that when I saw the pic of the airport there was no security but there was no terrorism! I would not be able to stand it because I am a mosquito magnet and I would get very sore. Now is the best time to come back because it is ski season.

    Have fun coming home.

    Christian (Mrs. Mack's student)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pete! This is great. So happy I found your blog (via Madeline's of course!) Keep up the good work saving the world!

    Mackenzie Field
    mackenziefield.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete