Thursday, October 13, 2011

Leaving For Camp

Tomorrow I leave Migori for Kakuma refugee camp in northern Kenya. I originally was meant to go to Dadaab however due to security I was transferred to Kakuma. I will be staying there for 3 weeks and will be working with the WHO on treating malnutrition and malaria. This camp is very secluded so communication for the next couple weeks will be difficult so please bear with me if you need to contact me. I have a phone now for emergencies so if anyone needs to contact me I can be reached at +254 706 365 737. I ironically have been reading the book "What is the What" by Dave Eggars, about a Sudanese lost boy who lands in Kakuma for 5 years. The book is amazing and if you want a look at what life is like there, it's a great place to go. I miss everyone. This will be very hard and it makes me a little nervous but I'm excited to help where I can, even if its small amount. 

5 comments:

  1. Pete - you are an amazing young man! I am so honored to know you! Stay safe!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Pete, this is a student from Mrs, Mack's home room class i am very interested in what your doing and i hope u get better and be safe. You are like my role model helping everybody every were u go even if it's only a little help you are still making a big difference Can't wait and see what you put up next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is too kind from the both of you. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for what you are doing out there I'm a student in Mrs. Mack's class and you inspire me and many other people

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete! I'm a student in Mrs. Mack's Homeroom
    You really are doing such a great job I know it is probably really scary but keep going you are part of making our world a better place

    ~Maddie

    ReplyDelete